Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fitting Yoga In

Last time, I talked a bit about yoga and how I feel it is helpful in supporting not just me but my nursing practice. What I didn't talk about, though, is how the heck I fit it in.

Here's the thing: for a couple of years, I didn't, and then my body decided to tell me what it thought of that. (It was not in favor of this long hiatus.) I had all the reasons why I had stopped lined up. I couldn't find a class at a time that worked with my schedule. There's no room in this tiny apartment. I'm so exhausted after work that all I can do is tumble into bed and sleep till it's time to get up for my next shift.

That last was actually my first big warning sign that I needed to take better care of myself. Outside of active combat (and possibly basic training), I'm pretty sure even the military ensures people have time to recoup beyond just sleeping. How can nurses do any less for ourselves and each other?

Finding a class was challenging. As a second-shifter, neither morning nor evening classes work for me. I'm either at work during most evening classes or not up yet during most morning classes. What I needed was something mid-day, but there really didn't seem to be anything. If I were in a big city, I thought, there might be more options, but not around here.

Then I stumbled upon one single "Lunch Break Yoga" class. Next town over. Going in the same direction as I need to head for work. It couldn't have been more perfectly placed and timed. I've been going for several weeks now, and the instructor has been so helpful in showing me ways to ease my body back into postures it hasn't done in far too long. She is a Kripalu teacher, so the approach and philosophy are familiar.

So there's the first piece: don't stop looking. Somewhere, there is a class that will fit you. It may take awhile to find it, but if this class popped up exactly when I needed it to, I have a feeling you will similarly find one that fits your busy schedule. And finding a class is important, I think, whether you are an experienced yogi/yogini or a brand newbie. Having someone with the training and experience to correct poor form, to adapt the practice to what your body needs, is critical when you're starting out and is still an essential touchstone when you are more experienced.

That said, ideally yoga should be an every day practice, not once a week. There are DVDs and even apps to help prompt you through a flow of poses if you're not at a point where you feel able to construct your own daily practice. I actually have the Daily Yoga (All In One) app on my phone, though I've not really used it yet. It does look helpful in terms of providing cues, though their idea of a "beginner" flow seems a tad advanced to me. I don't know that I would recommend it to someone who is a true beginner. I remember trying years ago to learn from videotapes (yes, back in the Dark Ages), and in my experience it's mostly an exercise in frustration and potential injury. They can be helpful supportive tools but are no substitute for a teacher.

Another approach, a bit more old-fashioned, is to keep a journal. I've been meaning to do so since I started this class. Finally, last week, I picked up a journal and today I started jotting down notes about my practice, postures I want to return to during the week between classes, challenges I encountered, and other thoughts that I want to be able to revisit over time. I'm sure there's an app for that too, but for journaling, I do prefer pen and paper. It took me all of five minutes after class to write it all down. So that was a 45-minute class followed by five minutes of journaling. Not even a full hour total.

I'd love to say that I'll spend that much time each day between now and my next class, but I know that's unrealistic. Ten or fifteen minutes a day, though, should be doable, even in this little apartment.

What are your thoughts on finding space, whether for yoga or any other wellness practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment